Veterans and military families
Supporting our Service Members and Veterans
As a military spouse and military mom, Lisa understands the needs of our veterans and military families. In the 1st Congressional District of Georgia, we have four military bases and over 76,000 veterans. We must meet the needs of the men and women who serve and their families. They all sacrifice so much for our country, and Lisa is committed to honoring and caring for those who serve.
- Lisa will work to not send our soldiers into unnecessary conflicts that have no clear outcome and no end.
- Congress must allocate adequate funds to our VHA, instead of cutting funding to push privatization. The more funds our Veterans Administration receives, the more comprehensive services they can provide to all veterans, regardless of location.
- Lisa supports tax free bonuses for our soldiers.
- It is unacceptable that approximately 18% of our military families are receiving food benefits. With the largest defense budget in the world, our service members should be paid a decent salary, and they should receive all the benefits promised to them when they enlisted.
- We must do more to care for our veterans. We must invest at least as much in our servicemembers returning from deployment as we do to send them into combat. Providing more support for the transition to civilian life means helping veterans find decent-paying, skilled jobs; full educational benefits (as promised); and transitional services. It also means providing family support and comprehensive medical care and mental health care to address combat-related issues like PTSD and TBI. A July 2016 study showed that 20 veterans commit suicide daily. We can no longer talk about what needs to be done; we must act.
Veterans Crisis Line - 1-800-273-8255 or Text 838255